Eastern Animal Rescue Network
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cherry, my bully foster

3 posters

Go down

Cherry, my bully foster Empty Cherry, my bully foster

Post  muttmaniac123 Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:07 am

I guess its time to share about our current foster. Been hoping she wouldn't still be here. Cherry has now been with me since just before Halloween. We don't usually have fosters that long but I am learning just how tough it is to place these bully breeds! Not one single inquiry the whole time she has been here! Im starting to think she will never leave. (which might suit my husband, Tony......he is head over heals in love!)
We were told she is a bull terrier/ dalmation cross but she looks very pit bull. I see now why so many people love these breeds! Cherry absolutely LOVES people, she is super with kids and packs more personality than a few of my other dogs combined. Everyone who comes to my house comments on what a great dog she is. Tony had a long trip, he's a truck driver and goes over the road a lot in the winter. So he took Cherry with him this time and she's having a ball. We do have some issues with aggression towards my other dogs. She does ok with most of them. She is deffinately dominant and will pick fights over the stupidest things but most of my dogs are not much for fighting so they don't amount to much more than minor quarrels. She will play well in the yard (where there is no food to fight over) for long periods with the rest of the pack.
Except for McKenzie, my husky mix. McKenzie is not the friendliest dog. She is also not my favorite....poor thing, we always say she is here out of mercy because no one else would want her. She and Cherry got into such a fight last week, I was able to grab Cherry from behind and pull her out but with no one to get McKenz and she just kept coming at us, I had to let go because I was afraid of her biting me. Pulled Cherry out a second time but by then McKenzie needed stitches in her leg. What a mess.
Not sure what Im looking for here...maybe just insight from the bully breed rescuers here. Had it not been for McKenzie I might have told potential adopters that Cherry was great with other dogs, just a little bossy. In fact, if not for McKenzie, I might have kept her myself. We really love this girl and because she is so good with people feel she is very adoptable to good dog savy people.
Anyone have any guidence/suggestions/comments? I have never fostered an adult bully and thought I was doing great until last weeks fight.
Here's a picture....
Cherry, my bully foster Jan09_10
muttmaniac123
muttmaniac123
Friend
Friend

Female Number of posts : 128
Registration date : 2008-06-06

Back to top Go down

Cherry, my bully foster Empty my bully foster

Post  muttmaniac123 Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:37 am

Did I offend anyone with this post? No one has commented on it. I wondered if maybe it was not polite to reffer to these breeds as "bullies". Please be assured, I meant no offense and used the term affectionately. If I have offended someone, please let me know so i don't repeat the mistake.
muttmaniac123
muttmaniac123
Friend
Friend

Back to top Go down

Cherry, my bully foster Empty Re: Cherry, my bully foster

Post  KissinPits Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:19 am

lol you worry too much!

I think we've all just been extra busy. We've got about 8 dogs waiting to come into rescue right now, have an event on Saturday a meeting on Sunday blah blah blah lol!

Do you have any other pics of Cherry? She's got super houndy ears so I don't think I agree with the dal cross lol. I can show you some spotted pits if ya need me too Smile
KissinPits
KissinPits
Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 809
Registration date : 2008-05-16

http://www.nhpbr.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Doxieluvr2008 Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:39 pm

I don't really have any advice as far as bully breeds since I usually foster little ones but I do think she is quite cute and I wish you the best of luck!! Thats nice your husband gets some company!! I can def. see the hound in her! She has dachshund ears only larger!
I know how you feel tho. I have a feeling i will have my current foster for awhile also. I got an urgent call from animal control saying they were going to pts a female doxie unless I picked her up. Of course I rushed over and the poor girl was just a mess. Flea allergy that took off most of her hair on the back end, severely overweight (21 pounds instead of 15), looks like a chihauha/doxie mix, cherry eye, red soars all over the place, and 7 years old. Thanksfully she is heartworm negative and doesn't have the actual fleas! Well her eyes are just so big and sad and she was just so excited to see me that I def. couldn't walk away. They found her huddeling in the trash behind a gas station..its been so cold here! She is such a good girl tho....one of those fosters that you just know is super thankful to be rescued. She hasn't had one accident in the house and i tell her to go lay in her bed and she obeys right away. She gets so excited everytime i just say her name or when its bed time and she gets to snuggle in her blanket. She isn't too fond of my 13 year old doxie so I have to watch that but thats about it.
Doxieluvr2008
Doxieluvr2008
Best Friend
Best Friend

Female Number of posts : 256
Registration date : 2008-05-21

http://www.ssdr.org/

Back to top Go down

Cherry, my bully foster Empty cherry

Post  muttmaniac123 Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:36 am

whew! I was really worried there! (I do worry too much!)

Anyway, I am skeptical myself about the dalmatian thing. But she doesn't really look or act houndy other than the ears. Not sure where those ears are comming from. She weighs about 50 lbs and she is all muscle. She is a little shorter than my border collie who weighs the same. We had another incident with Little smidge yesterday morning....very scary. I think Cherry is gettting more territorial. She really needs to be an only dog. So back out in the truck withTony this week. They are in tenn. Thought about coordenating brininging a couple pups up (weve done that before) but I wont be taking anyone new as long as Cherry is here.
Doxielover.....keep us posted on your little one. The poor thing! What a mess! Im so glad you took her in. Cherry also had cherry eye ...among other things. We have a fortune invested in her in vet bills. Rolling Eyes
Been thinking of you quite a bit lately since my other foster is a long haired doxie. What a sweetie she is!

Here's another pic of Cherry. Im so in love with this girl!
Cherry, my bully foster Cherry10
muttmaniac123
muttmaniac123
Friend
Friend

Back to top Go down

Cherry, my bully foster Empty cherry

Post  muttmaniac123 Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:40 am

one more......yes, we did have her in petsmart a couple weeks ago
Cherry, my bully foster Jan09_11
muttmaniac123
muttmaniac123
Friend
Friend

Back to top Go down

Post  Doxieluvr2008 Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:32 am

aw! she really is a sweetheart..i really like the pic of her in petsmart. So she is fine with people? just not the dogs? Or is it just your one dog in particular? Did anybody show any interest in her while she was there?
What did you do for her cherry eye? Did they just tack it back? My vet has my foster tilly on an eye med right now but she said they could "tack it back" when they gave her a dental. Thankfully its not too bad for the moment. SHe is quite spunky for a 7 year old...she was awake at 6 this morning waiting for me in the living room with her Play stance...down in the front with the tail wagging in the air...I'm getting too old for this Wink lol
I didn't know you had a doxie foster! Sorry if i missed that post...do you have any pictures? I"m such a sucker for doxie pics..esp. long hairs=) Where did you find her? I will be picking up a 9 month old black and tan long hair standard boy this weekend. Someone dropped him off at the vet and never came back for him. Thankfully they are keeping him until I can get him to his foster home in VA
Doxieluvr2008
Doxieluvr2008
Best Friend
Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Cherry, my bully foster Empty re: Cherry

Post  muttmaniac123 Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:29 pm

Cherry is super with people. She greets everyone like they were her best friend. She is even very good with my grandkids (that sounds so OLD!) We just have to be careful she doesnt knock the little one down. But she does try to be gentle with them. And yes, they tacked back her cherry eye. Hers was quite bad. It covered about half her eye and caused her a lot of irritation. She has done great since the surgery in early November. Cherry did pretty good with the other dogs in Petsmart, I think because it wasn't her territory. Towards the end of the day she did start to grumble at a couple dogs. Not sure if she was getting tired or feeling like it was now her store. I tend to think the latter. At my house she has always been a bit bossy (dominant) and it was just the one dog, McKenzie that we have always hade to supervise her closely with (cause we know Kenzie never backs down to a fight!) But this week she went after my little Smidge.....8 lb. Chi mix.......over a plastic bottle Cherry had taken out of the garbage. She is deffinately getting more possesive/territorial here. We will work harder at showing our own leadership when she gets back from the road trip, and we will deffinately be more careful with her around the other dogs.

Brandy is my Doxie foster. I dont always mention all of my fosters because some dogs come and go quickly. But I thought of you when she came in. Dont know if she is a pure doxie. She is much longer than she looks in the picture below. Someone else in the rescue brought her up from a high kill shelter and the day after she arrived she gave birth to 6 pups. We did an adoption day early Jan. when the pups were 8 weeks and I ended up bringing Brandy home from the adoption day because my vet is the vet of choice for spaying. She goes in on Monday. She's a great little dog and Im sure I wont have her for long!
Cherry, my bully foster Brandy10
muttmaniac123
muttmaniac123
Friend
Friend

Back to top Go down

Post  Doxieluvr2008 Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:25 pm

aw she is adorable...very sweet face and I love her coloring=) you'll have to let me know what family adopts her=) I"m glad that she was saved from the shelter!!

HOw do you work with dominant issues? Any techniques that esp. work? Tilly is showing some food aggression. I think she is getting a little bit better..when she first came, she would growl, show her teeth, and her back hair would stand up on end whenever Lady or LIncoln would go anywhere near me or her food. Poor Lady is deaf and starting to go blind so she would have no idea she was even bothering tilly. I have just been showing her that that behavior is not acceptable and thankfuly she really responds to me telling her no...i mean she just mopes into a corner and sits there for a good 15 minutes. Now she is fine with lilly and lincoln and will only slight grumble at Lady if she like runs into tilly a bunch of times...which i kind of understand can get annoying! but she still has her moods! I would feel much better adopting her out if I could get rid of her grumblings all together...
Doxieluvr2008
Doxieluvr2008
Best Friend
Best Friend

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down