Eastern Animal Rescue Network
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Baby Hamsters (Maryland) Would Love to be Home for the Holidays

Go down

Baby Hamsters (Maryland) Would Love to be Home for the Holidays Empty Baby Hamsters (Maryland) Would Love to be Home for the Holidays

Post  Blattodea Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:17 am

I am posting this for a friend in Maryland. She rescued a female hamster recently and, much to her surprise, found seven newborns in her cage mere days later! The babies are so far healthy and feeding well, and in about six weeks will need to be separated and sent to new homes. Though she would love to keep them herself, she and her room mate already have a large critter family to care for, and lack the space and funding to accommodate all of these babies - she will already be keeping one that has a birth defect.
As Syrian hamsters, they can and should be housed singly since the species is territorial & aggressive towards its own kind. Most cages marketed for hamsters are NOT appropriate for them; they need a spacious, enriched, escape-proof environment with plenty of toys, hides, and dense bedding to dig in. They should not be kept on pine or cedar and must not be fed the seed-heavy, ethoxyquin-loaded diets frequently available on the market.
Hamsters also need someone who understands their behavior. With proper handling, they are very sweet, gentle creatures, but they startle easily and can not be forced to interact - they will nip! This is not a children's pet; they are very delicate animals.
Please e-mail me (educ82libr8@yahoo.com) if you think you are the kind of special home these hamsters need. I will help arrange an interview with the current foster mom. Transport currently can extend between Baltimore and Albany; some stops along the way would be Lancaster, Reading, Scranton, White Plains, Hopewell, Binghamton, and more. If you are in NY and want to adopt but need more time than six weeks to prepare, I can hold the hamster for you at my residence.
Thank you!

Blattodea
Friend
Friend

Number of posts : 57
Registration date : 2008-06-07

Back to top Go down